Craig Archard, trainee site manager


Craig, 25 from Swansea is a trainee site manager who is currently studying towards his CIOB Level 4 certificate in construction site management and an NVQ level 4 in Construction site supervision. Craig talks to us about his career in to construction, via the Royal Marines.

Following my career as a Royal Marines Commando, I decided to pursue a career in site management construction. This was as a result of some work experience in the field and it was apparent that an apprenticeship was the best route; allowing me to gain on site experience as well as gain the necessary academic qualifications. Learning the role of a site manager, whilst earning a wage is the best option for me. This is because I am a mature student with home life responsibilities including a mortgage.

The best thing about my apprenticeship is learning on site skills from my colleagues who have years of experience alongside picking up the academic skills in college. Doing an apprenticeship is the best way for me to learn as it offers hands on, practical experience, outside of the classroom. It’s great to be out onsite and seeing the construction project progress. I gain a great deal of satisfaction being part of a team, problem solving and interacting with different contractors.

The best thing about working for Kier is how much they value their apprentices and trainees. For example, they have set me up with a mentor from a different site to help with anything I need. In addition to this, the site team of the project I am currently working on are available for any advice and guidance. I value the collaborative ethos Kier promote and see it as a major strength of the company.

Kier develop their staff, by putting you through lots of different training courses and supporting you through your college qualifications. For example, I have been on SMSTS, First aid and environmental courses.

0 comments:

Post a Comment