Sam Taylor, electrician apprentice


Sam Taylor, 20, is currently training to become an electrician. He is an apprentice for Kier Living, working on the Waterside Place site in Birmingham. 

Here, Sam explains why he chose the apprenticeship route. I made the choice to pursue an apprenticeship after experiencing different educational environments, from sixth form to university. I found that a combination of theory and practical work suited me best and that’s why I chose an apprenticeship. I feel more confident in my abilities and I definitely feel this was the right career choice for me.

The best things about my apprenticeship are the sense of achievement when you complete a project and the trust that is bestowed on you. I work as part of a team but at times independently and I feel a great sense of pride and responsibility being able to deliver projects for the team.

It’s an environment where the work I complete matters – it has a direct impact on the team and the wider project. There are pressures and deadlines but working to meeting those extremely rewarding and you truly feel appreciated.

Since starting my apprenticeship with Kier, I’ve had the opportunity to meet so many interesting people and as a result feel I have learnt so much and bettered myself. It has really helped with my confidence levels and I feel I am able to communicate with others better.

I’ve also noticed that my problem-solving skills have improved and I am able to think more clearly and analytically when trying to overcome problems – be that in a working or personal capacity. 

Working for Kier has drastically improved my work-life balance and helped me focus on what’s important to me and how to achieve my goals.

0 comments:

Post a Comment