Kieran Jassal, joiner


I chose an apprenticeship in the construction industry as I enjoyed helping my father build an extension to the family home when I was younger. I had achieved grade A’s in woodwork. I originally considered a plumbing apprenticeship, but I am glad that I have become a joiner.

I enjoyed the variety of work and learning that’s part of my apprenticeship. My work is not repetitive, each job is different. My mentor was very supportive, that we even developed a friendship out of work. I have felt part of a team and I enjoy the banter with my fellow work colleagues.

I leave for work about 6.50 so I can be on site ready to start work at 8am and my working day finishes at 4.30pm. I would initially work shadowing a joiner, but gradually I became experienced to work away on my own. I enjoyed the variety of skills I was learning as each day was different.

I would recommend an apprenticeship in the construction industry, there are so many different ways to become an apprentice, the work is varied and has extremely good career prospects. My qualifications are recognised internationally, so they could act as a ticket to travel the world. My long term ambition would be to work towards management level and to become my own boss.

0 comments:

Post a Comment