James Grew, apprentice site manager


In the morning I speak to all the people who are new to the site and find out if they have the right qualifications to do the job they intend to do. I’ll also check that they have brought the required safety equipment to work here. I’ll then take their details and log them into the security system.

In order for the project to be completed on time, there are specific tasks that have to be done. I walk around site and see if everybody is doing the tasks that are priority. If they’re having any issues, I’ll do what I can to help them get the job done.

Later on, I’ll walk around and see if I can spot any hazards. I will then put notices and warnings to reduce the risk of them happening. The design manager will sometimes ask me to carry out a survey for him. I make drawings; take measurements and photos of parts of the site he needs information on.
I’m a lot more motivated than I used to be, I know that when I turn up to work I’m going to be spoken to as an adult and feel the sense of responsibility to act as one. It’s a really nice feeling waking up in the morning knowing that I’m getting up because it’s something I want to do. In college, I’m learning about the different types of building structures and the different aspects of a building that affect human comfort, such as ventilation.

If you're thinking of becoming an apprentice then do it. There are still plenty of routes you can take after you qualify, but it means that when you know what you want to do, you’re already employed and you’ve already got the experience in the industry to get there. People sometimes think that apprenticeships rule out the opportunity to go to university, Kier have told me that if I want to go to do a degree or undergo any further training, they can pay for it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment