Paolo Avagnano, civil engineer apprentice


Paolo Avagnano, 18 is working towards a Level 3 Civil engineering apprenticeship (NVQ). Paolo explains how his brother inspired him to choose an apprenticeship.

“I finished my A levels and after doing some research into university and apprenticeships I decided that the apprenticeship route was right for me. My brother opted to take an apprenticeship over other higher education options and he has really enjoyed it. Plus, the fact you are learning and earning at the same time, it made complete sense for me to choose this option too.

In my opinion, the best thing about my apprenticeship is the professional connections I am gaining at such a young age, whilst gaining invaluable experience at the same time. I think that it is key - to try and get as much experience as possible. Why I think this is on a long-term basis there will be the opportunity to diversify and to try other areas of the business. I am armed with so much knowledge which wouldn’t have been the same if, for example, I had gone to university and then started in a job after a few years’ time.

The best thing about working for Kier is the friendly atmosphere in the working environment. Since starting my apprenticeship, everyone has been very helpful and been keen in trying to help me learn and understand different aspects of the industry, which has driven me to working harder and I feel motivated to continue to learn new things.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment