James Hopkins, construction trainee


James is a construction trainee for Kier Construction in Cardiff. Here, James talks to us about his journey in to the built environment and how is determination and persistence landed him his ideal job.

“I knew from a very early age that I wanted to work in the built environment. I was looking at different career paths in to construction and felt an apprenticeship would be the best option. I liked the idea of earning whilst learning and with the focus on a mix of practical and theory, I felt it would suit me.

I actually started as an apprentice carpenter for a small house refurbishment company, followed by a roofing company. After completing my third year I was offered a position with Neath Port Talbot College to do a higher apprenticeship scheme for trainee managers. I was able to carry out practical and theory based work as I worked towards my degree.

A couple months in to working for the steel company, orders started to dry up. There was uncertainty over the industry and unfortunately the company let me go. I suddenly I found myself unemployed and miles away from gaining the qualifications I wanted. I contacted my training provider but they said sadly thy were unable to help. I was basically on my own.

It was this point I got in contact with Kier in Wales. I was offered an interview at the Cardiff office – I was a bag of nerves as I had never worked with a main contractor before. I was excited and really wanted to work for Kier, after researching the company further. I was offered a place on the Kier foundation degree programme and I am now in my second year.

If it wasn’t for my now contracts manager and Kier seeing my potential, I would be in a totally different place. Kier’s version of the higher apprenticeship scheme has given me the chance to learn, work and live construction whilst also offering job security. I’ve learnt so much from the people I’ve met and been mentored by.

Since starting my journey in to the construction industry, I have learnt so much. Working for Kier is not a job, it’s a fulfilling career that has already offered me countless opportunities.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment