Annie Flynn, business support apprentice


Annie, 20, is currently a business support apprentice for Kier Construction in the southern region. Annie is working towards a project management level 4 project management qualification. This is what Annie had to say about her apprenticeship at Kier.

“Before starting my apprenticeship at Kier, I finished my A Levels and applied to go to university to study Theology and Religious Studies. At this point I believed university was the only option I had, as I had not been told by my college and I was not aware of other career paths. I went to university but I wasn’t enjoying the lectures and I wasn’t sure if this was the right form of further education for me.

After completing my first year, I needed a summer job and thought this was an ideal opportunity to gain some valuable work experience. I was offered a placement at Kier and to be honest, I have never looked back! After spending six weeks working for Kier, I couldn’t imagine working or doing anything else as I was enjoying it that much. The work experience had just proved to me how much I enjoyed working and earning my own money.

I sat down with the HR team at Kier and asked them if there was any way that I could stay and what options there were available to me. This is when I was offered to come on board as a business support apprentice, with Kier putting me through my level 4 project management qualifications and my PMQ.

Since starting the apprenticeship, I have worked in different parts of the business; from the general works team, to pre-construction and the site based team, giving me the opportunity to understand what I am interested in so I will know what I want to pursue when I have completed my training.

Working for Kier has been such an enjoyable experience so far. From the beginning, I have felt like a valued member of the team, with everyone being so friendly and welcoming. At Kier, I feel like I am being pushed to do my absolute best and constantly being challenged to achieve more. It is warming to know that I am working for a company which values its employees and acknowledges when they have gone above and beyond.

Since I started at Kier I have been luckily enough to represent the company at a handful of careers events, where I have been able to share my story which I hope has inspired others.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment