Jamie Clark, trainee quantity surveyor


I joined Kier in September 2016 after I completed one week’s work experience the previous summer. I experienced five days of different roles within the general works team and I enjoyed the quantity surveying area, so decided to pursue a career in that area.

My main responsibilities include assisting the co-ordination of orders for materials on sites and I also try helping out colleagues on other tasks, such as contacting sub-contractors and gathering information for projects.

I am very happy with my apprenticeship, it took a little bit of time to get used to what I was doing and learn the basics, as I was brand new to construction, but with the help and support from everyone at Kier I am grateful to have had this opportunity to begin my career in construction and I am growing with confidence and knowledge every day.

I have learnt so much by getting hands on in the construction industry. I feel by having an apprenticeship you will learn a lot more about construction through every day experiences which I have also found has improved my academic work as I am able to relate what I do at work to my assignments.

If I was to give anyone advice about an apprenticeship it would be to try and experience multiple roles as it may surprise you to which you feel will be best suited to you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment