Freddie Seal, hub apprentice


Freddie Seal joined Kier in 2017 after completing a 14-week training and work experience placement as part of Kier’s S-Skills for Highways Social Enterprise. Here, Freddie explains the benefits of an apprenticeship and that anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

“When I left school, I had a number of different jobs in different industries and I was struggling to feel fulfilled. I felt that my career was at a standstill and not going in the direction I really wanted it to.

I was diagnosed with attention deficit disorder (ADD), autism, dyslexia and dyspraxia at a young age. I have always been aware of my conditions and whilst they can affect how I go about tasks or learning things, I never thought they should hold me back.

I was offered the chance to enrol on the Kier S-Skills programme at Brooklands Museum at the beginning of 2017. After completing the two-week programme, I was hoping to be offered a job on the roads. I was actually offered the opportunity of work experience and then a job in The Control Hub on our Surrey Highways contract. I would never have thought that I would enjoy a job in an office – but I do!

Since I started at Kier my confidence has grown, I feel able to talk and interact with all sorts of people. This role has also offered me so many opportunities, including going away on an apprenticeship training event.

With my apprenticeship, I am learning how to apply the knowledge from my college course in to my every day work. I will gain a professional qualification and look to further my development in a working environment.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment