Dale Turner, apprentice plumber


Dale has recently won ‘best apprentice’ in the North-East and Yorkshire area in the JTL Awards and now heads to the national finals. Ever since Dale started his apprenticeship with Kier North Tyneside, he has shown enthusiasm and a passion to learn. Here, Dale talks about how much he has enjoyed his apprenticeship and the opportunities it has presented.

I joined Kier North Tyneside (KNT) in early September 2013 as an Advanced Apprentice Plumber on a four-year programme. I’d always enjoyed studying and had some good GCSE results under my belt but I wanted my further education to be a mix of both theory and practical learning. This seems to have worked out well, I’ve passed all my exams first time and received top marks several times.

I am now a fully qualified plumber with gas, working for KNT as a permanent member of the Gas Servicing & Repairs Team. Alongside my NVQ L3 Diploma in Plumbing & Heating, I’ve also attained an ACS domestic gas qualification and I am always looking at ways I can progress, learn more and ultimately better myself.

I feel I learnt so many life skills during my apprenticeship. I have tried to show initiative at every opportunity, by proactively pursuing transfers to other plumbing departments within KNT to gain experience of different work places and mentors. This was invaluable and I learnt how to work with lots of different people.

It’s not just the training that makes the apprenticeship at Kier worthwhile. I have taken the time to understand Kier as a business and partake in various company initiatives; undertaking dementia friends training, becoming a Kier Shaping Your World Ambassador. I am passionate about getting more people to consider a career within the built environment so I regularly help with apprenticeship events and trade fairs.

Andi Gibson, learning and development consultant for Kier North Tyneside, said: “Dale is a shining example of what Kier hopes to see in their apprentices. Dale lives by the Kier values and is always forward-thinking, collaborative and enthusiastic. As an organisation, we are exceptionally proud of the success that Dale has made of himself. He is one to watch and he will go far in the future.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment