Jonathan Tranter, civils apprentice


Jonathan Tranter, 37, is currently a civils apprentice working towards a higher apprenticeship level 4 in civil engineering. Jonathan explains how it’s never too late to change careers.

“After working in the heritage sector for 14 years, I decided it was time for a change of career. I knew I had a diverse skill set but I was struggling to decide what career to embark on.

I’d kept a close eye on the HS2 project and could see there were opportunities available. After further research, it seemed like the right path for me as it would utilise my existing experience whilst allowing me to challenge myself and try something new.

My brother had taken an apprenticeship at 16 and it worked well for him so I’m working on the mantra ‘you’re never too old to learn’. The best part of this apprenticeship is being a part of such a high-profile project from such an early stage.

Years ago, I went to college and university, but learning on the job is the way forward for me so I can put the skills I’ve learnt into practice.

I’ve loved getting to meet other apprentices. Joining a company and a career path that has so many opportunities is ace. I am incredibly excited about what the future holds.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment