Ashley Bowers, apprentice plumber


Ashley, 33, lives in Solihull and is currently undertaking an apprenticeship in plumbing. Ashley recalls how his dreams are now becoming a reality because of his apprenticeship.

“Over the past two years, my apprenticeship with Kier has given me the opportunity to learn the skills I need to become a qualified plumber. I go to college one day a week, where all the theory based work is put in to practice in workshops. An example of this is assessing detailed drawings with tutors explaining it all in detail and then asking us questions. We also cover off best practice, health and safety, the dos and donts to ensure we are always considering our safety and surroundings.

For the other four days, I am working on a Kier site with the plumbing sub-contractors, gaining necessary experience and confidence in this line of work. I have learnt how to fit appliances, guttering, radiators, kitchen sinks, baths and fix pipework.

During my time as an apprentice I have taken over ten plumbing and heating exams as well as other subjects, such as Maths, English and I.T. At school, I never felt I was very good academically, but I have excelled in every exam I’ve taken on my apprenticeship, even scoring 100% in a couple of exams.

I moved from Stoke-on-Trent to Birmingham for this apprenticeship which was scary as I knew no-one but I’ve met so many people, some of whom are now very good friends. My self-confidence has rocketed and I have the belief that anything is possible if you want it enough.

After coming from a job that I felt would never result in a fulfilling career, this apprenticeship has changed my whole perspective and as a result, I feel I could one-day work for myself, something I only dreamed of before and never thought possible.

0 comments:

Post a Comment