Ian Brumskill, trainee site manager




When I was younger, my Dad would renovate pubs on Lark Lane, so I would always watch him and I knew then I would like to have a career in construction.


I joined Kier as an apprentice when I was 20 and I’ve been working on our project to redevelop Chester Theatre since February 2016.


I think my apprenticeship is fantastic – I really like the stability and routine it gives me on a day-to-day basis. I get on really well with my mentors who I meet with a number of times a week, discussing the project and learning from them.  Kier has invested a lot of time in helping me develop and I’m extremely appreciative of that.


My main responsibilities on site consist of supervising subcontractors on site, making sure the work is on schedule, and making sure all required materials are available when needed.  I also carry out quality assurance on the project and carry out site inductions for visitors. I supervise a number of site tours every week in addition to walking round with my mentors to identify which jobs need to be completed.


Since I’ve started I’ve acquired an IPAF licence which allows me to drive any mobile working elevated platform, allowing me to work with subcontractors who don’t have such a license.


In future I’m aiming to complete my NVQ Level 3 and eventually progress to be a senior site manager.


I would tell anyone looking to get into an apprenticeship in construction to go for it. I’ve learnt a lot since working for Kier, off both my mentors and subcontractors around me. A lot of my friends went onto college or University when they left school, however I am happy with my choice of getting out and working.

0 comments:

Post a Comment